That makes the US the country with the most casinos in the world. In fact, if you add together the casinos from all other countries in the top 15, you will still be a few hundred casinos short of the United States! With around 136 casinos, the city of Las Vegas alone has more casinos than many of those countries!
But surprisingly, when it comes to the biggest casinos in the United States, Vegas does not hold the top honors. Many of the biggest US land-based casino resorts are located outside the famous Sin City.
Then there is the massive online casino industry where it makes gambling online so convenient. Firstly, there is no need to leave your place of residence. You then have a rediculous amount of casinos where you can take advantage of free spins and exclusive no deposit bonuses.
Here is a quick look at the top 10 biggest American casinos in 2021, starting from the top:
1. WinStar World Casino Resort
- Location: Thackerville, Oklahoma
- Opening date: 2003
- Gaming Space: 400,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 8500
- Number of gaming tables: 100 (+55 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 1400
- Other features: Global Event Center, RV Park, Golf Club, Off-track betting parlor, Bingo, 17 Upscale restaurants, Cafes and Bars
WinStar World is not just the biggest casino in America, it is also one the biggest land-based casinos anywhere in the world. It begs the question – why does this mammoth casino exist in Oklahoma, of all places? The answer lies a few miles south of the casino, across the state border.
WinStar World Casino is located on the border with Texas – a huge state that does not permit land-based casinos (except one casino in Native American territory – the Kickapoo Lucky Eagle). Owned and operated by the Chickasaw Nation, this mega tribal casino caters to gamblers from Oklahoma and North Texas.
The mega casino has a remarkable modern design, with eight separate gaming plazas named after major cities of the world. The adjacent hotel, after several major expansions, now has 1400 luxury rooms spread across three towers.
The 8,500 gaming slot machines inside the casino make it the biggest gambling destination of its kind. As for the table games, the options include everything from blackjack to roulette, baccarat, Mississippi Stud, and Texas Hold Em.
2. Mohegan Sun Casino
- Location: Uncasville, Connecticut
- Opening date: 1996
- Gaming Space: 364,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 5000
- Number of gaming tables: 300 (+33 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 1563
- Other features: World-class spas, 130,000 sq ft shopping area, WNBA team arena, Wolf Den music live music venue, comedy club, 3-story tall crystal mountain, 55-ft indoor waterfall
Mohegan Sun is an Indian casino owned by the Mohegan Tribe in the New England region. The casino is famous for its strong Native American design aesthetics. This includes a crystal replica of a sacred mountain, tribal décor, Mohegan tribal-themed cards, and an overall emphasis on nature and the changing seasons.
In the 25 odd years since its launch, the casino has undergone three major renovations and upgrades. The Mohegan Sun in 2021 is a combination of two separate casinos and hotels – the Casino of the Sky and the Casino of the Earth, housed in two towers carrying the same name. The entire complex is spread across 240 acres.
A popular attraction inside the Casino of the Sky is the Wombi Rock – a massive crystal and onyx mountain. There is also a replica of a waterfall that holds a special place in the history of the Mohegan tribe. The Sun also has its own WNBA team – the Connecticut Sun. The casino attracts from the entire East Coast, along with a direct helicopter link to Manhattan.
3. Foxwoods Resort Casino
- Location: Mashantucket, Connecticut
- Opening date: 1992
- Gaming Space: 344,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 3500
- Number of gaming tables: 250(+114 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 2200
- Other features: Online casino, bingo hall, racebook, keno, golf course, scenic trails, zipline, 85 luxury brand stores, multiple live entertainment venues, 54 restaurants, cafes, and bars.
Located just 10 miles away from the Mohegan Sun, this casino resort is owned by the Mashantucket Pequot Nation. Two of the biggest land-based casinos are located just a few minutes away from each other in Connecticut.
Foxwoods Resort is actually four separate casinos rolled into one single complex – Fox Tower, Grand Pequot, Great Cedar, and Rainmaker. Apart from the land casinos, Foxwoods also operates an online casino and fantasy sportsbook in association with DraftKings.
Though it has designated smoke-free zones for patrons, the casino is not under Connecticut laws – it does not enforce a smoking ban on all public spaces. The casino is spread across a massive 200 acres. Its 2200- room hotel is the fourth-largest outside of Las Vegas, behind Opryland, Harrah's Atlantic City, and the Disney Pop Century Resort.
4. Thunder Valley Casino Resort
- Location: Lincoln, California
- Opening date: 2003
- Gaming Space: 250,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 3400
- Number of gaming tables: 110 (+50 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 400
- Other features: Outdoor amphitheater, Golf Club, Spa, Thunder Bar, Fitness center, 12 restaurants and cafes.
Thunder Valley is a major gambling destination in Northern California, located just 30 miles away from Sacramento. This is yet another Indian Casino on the list, owned by the United Auburn Indian Community – they are a federally recognized Native tribe of Miwuk and Maidu Indians.
The casino complex has a distinct Vegas flair – it was designed by JMA Architecture, a firm with experience designing major casinos in Las Vegas. After opening its doors in 2003, the casino underwent one major expansion in 2010 with the addition of the 400-room luxury hotel with an indoor entertainment hall.
5. Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Location: Tampa, Florida
- Opening date: 2004
- Gaming Space: 245,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 5000
- Number of gaming tables: 179 (+46 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 800
- Other features: Hard Rock Event Center, 8 bars/lounges, 13 restaurants, 3 swimming pools, Sound of Your Stay music experience, spa, retail shopping, online social casino.
The Seminole Tribe of Florida are pioneers of tribal gaming in the United States since 1975. In Florida, the tribe owns six casinos – the Seminole Hard Rock Tampa is the largest of them all. The tribe had operated a gambling center in Tampa since 1982 – it was rebuilt as a Hard Rock branded casino in 2003.
The Florida Seminole also owns the Hard Rock chain itself – they acquired it for nearly $1 billion in 2007. Staying true to that name, the Tampa casino has a strong music and rock and roll theme, with tons of memorabilia. The casino has a special floor dedicated to over 500 high-value slot machines.
6. The Venetian - Palazzo
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
- Opening date: 1999 (Venetian), 2007 (Palazzo)
- Gaming Space: 220,000 sq ft combined (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 1900 (combined)
- Number of gaming tables: 225 (+60 high limit tables, and 59 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 7000
- Other features: Sands Expo Center, ZZ Top live, Gondola rides, Madame Tussauds, Grand Canal shopping mall, Renaissance architecture, spa, pools, 34 high-end restaurants, 6 bars/lounges and more
The Venetian and The Palazzo are two iconic Las Vegas Casino resorts owned by the Las Vegas Sands Group. Founded by the late Sheldon Adelson, the group owns major casino properties in Vegas and Macau, including the Venetian Macao – the second largest casino in the world.
Though much smaller than its sister casino, The Venetian in Las Vegas holds the record of being the second-largest hotel in the world. The Venetian complex includes two connected casinos – the Venetian and a later addition – the Palazzo.
On their own, the two casinos are not large enough to merit a mention on this top 10 list. But since they are located on the same complex and owned by the same group, listing them together as one seems quite fair. The complex has 10 world-class restaurants run by celebrity chefs like Emeril Lagasse, Wolfgang Puck, and Mario Batali.
The casinos are also famous for their live entertainment options – ZZ Top, Blue Man Group, David Spade, Tim Allen, and Chicago (band) are all regulars at the Venetian. The Palazzo holds the distinction of being the tallest building in Las Vegas.
Both casinos are considered architectural wonders, with replicas of Renaissance-era landmarks from Venice, including canals and gondola rides. Of the two, the Palazzo is more oriented towards high-end luxury, while the Venetian is more open and energetic.
7. San Manuel Casino
- Location: Highland, California
- Opening date: 1986
- Gaming Space: 220,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 4900
- Number of gaming tables: 100
- Number of hotel rooms: 429 (planned expansion)
- Other features: Bingo hall, 6 restaurants, and bars, online free play casino and retail shopping
The San Manuel Casino is located an hour’’s drive away from Los Angeles, in the city of Highland. It caters largely to customers from the Inland Empire region of California. The casino has been since 1986, under the ownership of the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians – a federally recognized tribe.
Originally a high stakes bingo parlor, the gambling center evolved over the years into a full-fledged casino with the largest selection of slot machines on the West Coast. The casino also had a poker room – it was closed in 2019. An ambitious expansion plan is currently ongoing at the casino – it will add a 400-room luxury hotel and other facilities in 2021-22.
8. Riverwind Casino
- Location: Norman, Oklahoma
- Opening date: 2006
- Gaming Space: 219,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 2800
- Number of gaming tables: 19 (+17 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 100
- Other features: Showplace Theater, off-track betting, annual music festival, 2 bars, casual dining, buffets and 2 restaurants
Riverwind Casino is the second casino on this list owned by the Chickasaw Nation of Oklahoma. Compared to the WinStar, this is a much smaller casino (although still large enough to feature on this top 10 list!). The Vegas-style casino was designed by the Hnedak Bobo Group.
Compared to other venues on this list, the casino does not have any major attractions aside from its slot machines, tables for blackjack, baccarat, craps, Mississippi stud, and Ultimate Texas Hold 'em. But the 1500-seat theater does hold regular concerts of artists like Collective Soul and Boyz II Men.
9. Choctaw Casino Resort
- Location: Durant, Oklahoma
- Opening date: 2006
- Gaming Space: 218,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 4300
- Number of gaming tables: 65 (+26 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 750 (planned expansion to 1000)
- Other features: 4 live entertainment venues, bowling alley, laser tag, movie theater, arcade, 12 restaurants, 5 bars and RV Park
The Durant casino is the flagship resort of the Choctaw Nation’’s casino chain in Oklahoma. They own 8 casinos across the state. The Choctaw Casino in Durant began as a bingo hall in the 1980s, before the addition of the casino to the site in 2006.
That casino is now known as the South Casino, as a bigger North Casino was built as part of an expansion in 2010. Further additions have increased the number of rooms available in the casino to over 700, with more on the way.
Much like the WinStar Casino, the Durant Choctaw Casino caters to Texans from the Dallas Fort-Worth region. The casino added a facility called the District in 2015 – a family-friendly entertainment destination.
10. Encore Boston Harbor
- Location: Everett, Massachusetts
- Opening date: 2019
- Gaming Space: 210,000 sq ft (approx.)
- Number of slot machines: 1800
- Number of gaming tables: 185 (+74 poker tables)
- Number of hotel rooms: 671
- Other features: Spa, fitness center, boardwalk, 9 restaurants, luxury retail shops
The Encore Boston Harbor is one of the newest land-based casinos in the USA. Owned by the Wynn Group, this luxury resort, and casino is located on the shores of the Mystic River in Boston. The resort construction was completed for $2.6 billion.
Wynn Group built this resort on a 33-acre property, part of which had to be reclaimed from industrial land. In terms of floor space, this casino is tied with the Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort in Mt Pleasant Michigan. But since tribal casinos already dominate this list, Encore Boston was given preference.